Saturday, August 14, 2010

Vaguely Generalizing

I was a bit fed up when I fired off that last blurb, so I didn't think of it at the time, but its original premise--the Internet has made us into retards who can not communicate a point without sounding like we're commenting on YouTube--was what an old teacher of mine would've called a "vague generalization". I never specified who exactly I was talking about. I sounded like I was talking about a large number of people and that I'd witnessed this phenomenon a lot IRL, but really, the only people whom I've ever heard speak this way are members of my own family. So yeah, my own argument is, therefore, BS.

Now, before I go on, I'd like to make clear that the Internet is the most useful and easiest way to spread information there is. It has made it so that there's no such thing as not being able to find or spread information. The Internet gave birth to many wonderful applications. Yay.

But with these positive applications have also come frivolous applications. I guess that's just natural, but still--it's destroying our brains. People my own age, being the first generation raised by the Internet, are exhibiting some disturbing symptoms of--something. I might've been swinging off on a tangent last time, but it sparked a few ideas for me about what I think the Internet is doing to us on the inside. Will vaguely generalize on this a little more later.

No comments:

Post a Comment